Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sign Language...

Anyone who has taught their child to sign would probably tell you that it's pretty incredible... But I had NO idea how FAST my kid would pick it up!
Today Dax signed "thank you" to his church daycare ladies when I picked him up.
He's fully signing Cheerios.
But he also started signing "All Gone" - I do it for "All done" too - it basically means the same thing - and he obviously gets the idea: he was mad that I put him on the changing table once this afternoon, and he kept signing (flapping his hands around) until I figured out that he was trying to sign something - so I said it, "All done?" and he smiled. I WAS all done, so he clapped when I said "ok - up".
I'm floored.
Next week Dax will be 11 months.
And he can talk to me already!
How cool is that??
:)

If you haven't decided to do this with your kid, or you think you can't, or you think it might hinder their verbal abilities - think again. You CAN do this (if I did!). And why not save yourself months of frustration (and probably nasty tantrums) by giving your child the tools to tell you what he means as soon as he's ABLE to?
:)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Mady will be 2 1/2 in April, and she still signs... Now she will say the word and sign it at the same time. Sometimes she will say the word in Spanish and sign it. I love watching her learn.