Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Something's Amiss...

We've noticed recently that Dax seems to look a lot to the left, and that his eyes almost automatically move to the left when we pick him up, or dangle a toy in front of him. Picking him up won't avert his eyes either - he'll stare upwards and to the left at whatever's caught his eyes, and will even move his head around so that he can continue to stare at it.
I've been trying to get him to focus on toys in his hanging gym thing (to no noticeable effect), and have dangled something else in front of him, or tried to break his stare by putting my own face in front of his eyes... and nothing seems to work...
I told my mom about this last night, and she decided that it might be because he may not be hearing from his right ear...
Completely makes sense.
And she reminded me that I had to have my hearing checked many times until I was about 6 because I had horrible ear infections that impaired my hearing when I was a baby.

Needless to say, the hearing and sight tests will be top on our list of things to talk to the pediatrician about at our next appointment in about a week - he's 6 weeks old today!! :)

Anooj and I are getting over a nasty cold - nasty for us, actually - it's really not as bad as it could be, or as bad as some colds I've ever gotten have been... but it's been an extremely long time since I've been sick (I wasn't sick once while I was pregnant!), and blowing huge wads of green stuff out my nose has made my face a big red dried up mess. And now I'm coughing the gunk up too (my voice is all weird and shaky because it's caked up my throat, lungs and vocal cords so much)!
Of course, Anooj didn't realize that I was broken until he got it - and at that, I think he thought I didn't have what he had, so I surely couldn't understand how rotten he felt... Men.
I'm about a day or two ahead of him, so now he's listening to me, and I'm trying to keep him apprised of what he needs to be taking (my recommendations only go that far, though - he'll read the back of the box of medication for dosage amounts and times, instead of listening to me - which is fine. If the medication isn't working, he can yell at the box)

Dax has been having a bad day - for me. Anooj came home for lunch and he was a happy baby to hear Dad's voice. But he's been a little whiny and whimpery for me today, wanting to be held, not wanting to be held, wanting to eat, definitely not wanting to eat, pooping, gassing, boredom, overstimulation... Thank God for the vibrating bouncy chair (but note the furrowed brow, and arms barely relaxed from a startled Moro reflex).

Oh - I won another contest! Go figure! I won a book called "From the Hip", and I'll probably get through it pretty quick with the number of feedings we've been having with this latest growth spurt (which I would clock as having started last night - eating nearly every hour). I'll let you know how it reads.

1 comment:

Sara said...

You are so funny. Hope you feel better soon!