Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Putting off the Inevitable...

So I talked to my mom last night - actually for very selfish reasons... We were asked to go to a movie opening this Friday night, and we needed a babysitter - I thought since the movie was going to be in South Arlington, that we might be able to use my parents as babysitters, and then possibly spend the night with them.
We spent the night with them the night of July 4th, since we were down in Burleson, and didn't really want to make the trek all the way back up to Flower Mound after firework bonanzas, not to mention that I hadn't seen my parents in about a month! And it turned out to be a really great idea - the best way to spend a good amount of quality time with my parents... Anooj got to go with Dad to Fry's after they poured over the Saturday morning newspaper sales advertisements, and Mom and I (and Dax) got to hang out while they were shopping for gadgets. It was very nice.
So I thought that would work again for this weekend...

And actually, I even called them initially because the All-stars game was on, but they were still in the first few minutes of the pre-show - but they were introducing huge names in baseball - Willie Mays! Reggie Jackson! Yoggi Bera! It was like the field of dreams out there - and so I had to make sure Dad was watching... but he wasn't! So it was good that I called.

THEN I remembered that I needed to ask them if they could watch Dax on Friday so we could hit an opening night movie at the movie grill in Arlington - The new Batman with Heath Ledger - who wouldn't want to see it?? My friend was pre-buying tickets too - so we knew we wouldn't be turned away at the door, and I'd ordered 4 (just in case another couple could come from Flower Mound too - turns out it's Melanie's Birthday, and she's doing her family-night thing with her family on Friday... ah well - I figured we could sell any tickets to turned-away movie goers from the probably-sold out showing).
Anyway, got to talking with Dad, and I asked if we could come down and spend the night - he asked mom, and they concurred that we could. Then I asked if they might like a little alone time with their Grandson so Anooj and I could hit a movie with some friends in Arlington - and they said we could! Rock on! So solid at the moment!
And then Dad put mom on the phone...
She told me that her treatment on Monday was rough - it took a lot longer than the previous treatments (because they've changed her medications now). She sounded pretty low. She told me that they were trying to get her to take a blood transfusion last week, but that she'd put them off, but she decided it was time...
Apparently, a blood transfusion is not unexpected during chemo - I didn't know that, and she didn't know that either... but it sounds like they're usually inevitable, and mom just kept putting it off. This week, though, she was feeling it. And she thought she'd like to go ahead and have that transfusion...
So she'd already scheduled it for Friday!
And these things take about 5 hours!
For whatever reason, she seemed to think she was going to be just fine to watch Dax (albeit with my Dad - but still!) after a freaking blood transfusion!
So we've decided to forgo the movie, and I'm going to come sit with her for some of the transfusion toward the end of it, and then Anooj and I are still going to spend the night with them.
:)

No comments: