Friday, July 25, 2008

Whoah.

We had Dax's 4 month checkup today - not only did we finally get the pediatrician I've been hoping to have since I was 7 months pregnant, but she's freaking stupendous. I LOVE this doctor. I couldn't be more pleased.
When I mentioned that we waited a week between the last round of immunizations, she didn't blink twice, so when we had more immunizations today, she just asked if I would come in for the remainder of them next week - no need to make an appointment, just come in at our leisure! WOW. No lecture about the birth center, no lecture about why I'm stupid for worrying about the effects of immunization shots on a baby's brain, etc...
And not only that! The nurse was FINE with me nursing while he received his shot today - and he did GREAT! He screamed for a second, and then poof! he nabbed back onto me, and was JUST fine! The nurse even mentioned how amazed she was!

The last doctor we had (Dr. Smalley) - while perfectly Christian and prayerful - gave me a lecture about having a baby in a birth center, about why I'm stupid for worrying about the effects of too many shots on a baby's immune system (I don't care how MANY shots you give my baby - but I worry about the actual antigens introduced at one time - too many can make their tiny brains swell!). And yes - he said sweet, thoughtful prayers at the end of each meeting, but you know what? When you tell me I have no rational basis for the way I feel about getting too many immunizations at once, when you cannot look me in the eye for longer than a minute (because you're just not interested), and when your staff abuse me for trying alternate methods of calming my baby during an immunization shot, well... then... you've just lost a paying patient. For good. And not only one patient, but many - don't think I didn't tell the birth center - which initially gave the reference to this doctor - so any potential patients who hear about it...

Blah blah blah.
Done with all that anyway - we're on to bigger... and better...

And speaking of bigger!
Dax is weighing in at a whopping 18 pounds! and is measuring 26 inches long! He's a big big boy right now... His head circumference is absolutely average, though - so I imagine that by the time he reaches one year old - he'll be quite normal, with everything matching up well (his height, his weight, and his head!) :)

Milestones = giggling for the first time a few nights ago, nearly turning over (not quite yet), and grabbing himself. :) ha!
:)


By the way - the nurse today also said something about our cloth diapers - she wondered where we got them, and if they were adjustable - and of course they are. :)
They're pretty damn great, actually - and if I have to plug a diaper on here, shamelessly - well then - I have to. I LOVE BUMGENIUS DIAPERS!! :)
Someone asked at our "class" reunion at the birth center if we ever had blowouts with these diapers - and you know what?? Not ever. We have never had a blowout in these diapers - they keep everything in. That is, unless they're completely saturated (which they can be by the time morning comes around) - they really should be changed at least every 4 hours - but you obviously don't want to wake a sleeping baby to change his diaper... :)
Anyhoo - I digress...

It was a very good 4 month birthday day for a very big boy named Dax (and his mummy too)!
:)

1 comment:

Rae said...

Ok, I'm having so much fun reading through your blog because we have so much in common...my babe's a bit ahead of yours but it seems like just yesterday. (:

I too use the cloth diaperoos although I must ask have you tried the Happy Heinies All-in-one pockets? I too am a BG fan (extolling the virtues to any and everyone) and while I still like them, I have to say that time is not helping my love for them, which is very disappointing. The velcro tabs are breaking down and the seams are coming apart, while my Happy Heinies (which are the same size as the BGs and therefore can be used interchangeably with their inserts) with the gigantor velcro tabs are still going strong. Anyway, probably more information than you needed/wanted there so sorry.

I can't believe someone would tell you you'd be a bad SAHM. I truly admire you for working/pumping/etc. That takes real tenacity and after that you could do anything. Staying at home would be a piece of cake.

For me, 3 months was tough because the end of nursing-only sustenance seemed so far away. Then all of the sudden 6 months rolled around and rice cereal entered the scene and I couldn't believe how fast it had flown by. So hang in there!