Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thank you, Anne.

You empowered me!
And we've done it.
Last night, we had friends over for dinner, so it wasn't feasible to really make them listen to Dax "not want to go to sleep yet".
But tonight was the night.
Albeit, we started at 9, instead of 8 - it was a late night for Anooj and me - we hadn't connected and gotten dinner started on time - the machine was out of sync...
But, even so - when 9 came around, and Dax was LITERALLY hitting himself to stay asleep while he nursed! - I took him to his room, put his favorite blankie over my shoulder so he could snuffle it on my shoulder, and I rocked him while I sang a few songs to him. And then I said "It's time for bed, baby." And I put him in his bed.
He played for about 15 minutes.
And then he realized he was staying there... and he started calling for us... But it was about 5 or 10 minutes before he really started to yell and scream...
And Anooj and I were good. We held our ground.
It seemed like an eternity...
He was so sad... and almost sounded like he'd throw up any minute (he does that when he gets really worked up), but as suddenly as we heard the first scream, he stopped... His room was silent.
And he's asleep!
Like a baby!
In his own crib!
And in total, it was 45 minutes - from put-down to silence.
Pretty hard, but not nearly as hard as I thought it might be...
And now I can go to bed!!
:)
Woohooo!

Anne, I'll call you tomorrow!! I'm sorry I didn't get to call you back today (crazy day - I actually got out of the house for MOST of the day - I know - amazing)!
:)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Did he sleep through the night?

Lisa said...

Well he woke up at 2:30 (which I kind of expected - some websites mentioned that they may only sleep up to 5 hours, and want to eat again) - but Anooj got up and got him, and put him back down. Then he woke up at 4:30, and then at 6:30 - so I fed him at 6:30.
I think he probably needed a diaper change when he woke up the first time, but there weren't any in the bedroom yet (I was folding them on the couch last night) - so Anooj didn't do it (he was probably too tired to realize he needed to too) - but when he brought Dax to me at 6:30 he smelled like tinkle... I fed him, and then we got up and got him changed.
So we'll try it again tonight, and see if a change at 2 does the trick!
Not a bad night.
Don't know why I feel so tired today though... maybe I got TOO much sleep? HA!
(by the way - he's been napping for nearly an hour already this morning! that's SO great!)
:)