Monday, March 23, 2009

We're weaned!

It's official - it's been a week since Dax has had any breastmilk! I know - it's not a fantastic milestone - I feel sort of guilty, since he's been so sick since we stopped (I could have been pumping this whole time and giving that to him).
But here's how it happened...
We'd gone down to three nursings a day: one at 9-ish, one at 3-ish, and one for bedtime. Those also coincided with naps afterward - probably something we'll still have to tackle...
At any rate, I stopped nursing at night-time, and Anooj would give him a bottle of very warm milk and toddler formula. Worked like a charm.
We just slowly moved the bottle into each of the feedings - and Dax really didn't fuss about it.
I had also noticed that I was not engorging like I used to, and I also wasn't saving much pumped milk a few weeks ago, when I was still pumping... so it seemed to be nature telling us it was time.
And we haven't looked back!
Bottles with milk and formula now continue the "snack-time" feedings, and the evening before-bed feeding.
I feel sad, sometimes, in the night, when he cries, and I know he's just thirsty - we used to bring him to bed with us, and I'd cuddle with him and nurse him... He's a big boy now, though!

And speaking of other milestones! Yesterday, Dax completely stood up without holding on to anything at all! And, he drew with a crayon yesterday too! BEFORE he ate the crayon! (that's a biggee, usually, he just eats the crayon and bangs it on whatever's nearby - this time, he actually watched himself softly draw on the paper... and then ate the crayon).
He was watching a "movie" with me yesterday too (Baby Signing Time) - and the teacher had a police hat on, and Dax tapped his head - the sign for "hat" - and then pointed at her! Very cool.
He's fully on the signing train.
:)
His other big thing is "pointing" his whole hand in the direction of something - everything - and asking "whasthat!" Too cute. He's such a sweet sweet baby.
I hope his snoggy nose and head cold are gone before the weekend...
:)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Where are the birthday pics!